The G. Low Family Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Hallowe'en Stake Conference

Ok this is one of the reasons why I love living here. Last night we went to the Stake Center for the adult session (does that sound "R" rated to you?) Anyway - I didn't even notice that it was dark - until almost entering the chapel. A tree had fallen over (freak wet heavy snow storms will do that) and knocked down some power lines. We had a back-up generator. But basically no lights. Just little "dimmer" lights in the chapel. People were going to their cars - not to go home mind you - to get their flashlights! Someone had a Coleman lantern in their car (the electric kind) and so that was on the podium. We went ahead with the meeting in a "campfire" like setting. (The half hour I spent trying to find the "perfect" outfit was totally wasted). Conductors (their were 2 special choirs - more on that later) used flashlights/penlight thing-ys so choristers could see them - and people held flashlights, and sometimes even openend their cell phones to shed light on the hymnbook.

The highlight of the evening for me was the Portugese/Spanish Choir. It was a shame it was dark because they dress uniformly (kinda). The women/girls all wore white blouses and had (I think) dark red necklaces. They don't sing very well - if you think tonal uniformity and being musically correct is important. But they are my all-time favorite choir because they sing with all their hearts. They hold nothing back (even when it might be wise to do so). In one song the special accompaniement was the men whistling. I just absolutely loved it. I listened with the biggest smile on my face - wishing I could have seen their faces better (they sing very expressively).

I love living in this Stake because here you have students and faculty at some of the world's best universities, well respected business leaders, (the governor), alongside immigrants who struggle with English and making ends meet. They keep it real. We have 3 great "singles" wards with extremely accomplished individuals who work tirelessly in the stake in many callings. And as different as we all seem to be - there is more that unites us than there is that separates us. And isn't that what the gospel should be about?

1 Comments:

  • I just have to say that Mom gave a great talk at the Sunday meeting of Stake Conference. I had many people in my ward come up to me afterward and say things like, "I was wondering if that was your mom because her last name's Low, and then she started talking and I could totally tell that she was your Mom." I guess we have similar mannerisms. Anyway, many of my friends were really touched by some of the things that she said. So, thank you, Mom.

    By Blogger Amy, at October 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home