The G. Low Family Blog

Monday, September 19, 2005

Daily Quote

In reading my brother's email (he's on a mission in Belize), Clarke and I were really touched by one of his lines. Luckily, it was also intelligible English (sometimes his emails are not - more a mixture of Spanish and English) so we thought we could share it on the blog.

In talking about missions he said, "It never gets easy, it just gets easier."

Clarke and I felt how much this applies to mortality in general. As all of you know, it has been a trying summer for Clarke and I. After four months of being sick and flat- out with pain, I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I thought about blogging the top 10 best things about being in the hospital after our three day stint there; I couldn't come up with 2. So, no list, and I have decided to have all my kids at home. For those of you that don't know what Crohn's disease is - you can ask Aunt Jeananne who has been reading the book Gordon got for me, that I left at Laurie and Gordon's until I can handle reading all the details of my disease. But what I do know is that it is an intestinal inflammation problem, an auto-immune disease. My body has attacked part of my small intestine, making it hard for me to digest food and causing stomach cramping, fevers, fatigue, weight loss (lots) and other GI problems. The good news is, there is medicine and diet control to help me recover and live a normal life. However, it is a slow, slow process and takes about four months of recovery. I start school this week part-time and hope to gain strength each day.

Clarke and I have spent many, many hours hanging out in our apartment - reading and watching movies, since I have to rest quite a bit. I have made a lot of progress though. It is more like a roller coaster recovery than a climb back up to the top - some days are better than others. My dad came out for 11 days to take care of me while Clarke started school. Laurie and Gordon win in-laws of the century award for all the help they have given and will have to continue to give. We feel so, so blessed to have so many people praying and helping us.

So, when we heard this quote, we thought of its truthfulness for us and for everyone (because as Elder Eyring said, "When you meet someone, treat them as if they were in serious trouble, and you will be right more than half the time.") Although it has been a very hard five months, and we have been pushed to our knees over and over again, we have seen the hand of the Lord in our lives, and we cannot deny the "tender mercies" of the Lord that have made each day, not easy, but "easier." Clarke and I have loved the time we have gotten to spend together and the closeness it has brought us, the closeness it has brought us with all our family members, and the eternal perspective it has helped us gain. Of course, I lose this perspective every once in a while, but Clarke is an incredible husband and source of strength. We are grateful for so many things that have come from this trial, and most of all grateful for the Savior and a loving Father in Heaven.

Sorry for the un-funny blog. But on my hardest days, when I spend more time crying than not, I am so comforted by the faith and hope of others. We want you to know a little of what we have been doing this summer, and to know how we are now. We have been so blessed, and that we have made it this far is by no strength of our own. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent on our couch staring at this framed quote we have in our living room (it was a great wedding gift) - "Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work and wholesome recreational activities." We cannot thank you enough for your examples. We love reading on the blog about your families, your activities and your strength. We are constantly amazed and grateful to be part of this family.

2 Comments:

  • Wow Anna, you sure are sounding mature and wise facing this all. GI problems are so suckey. Once I had a parasite for about 6 months and it put a serious cramp on my social life (okay, it wasn't technically diagnosed as a parasite but I'm pretty sure it was). I hope your recovery period goes well and you can find a way to manage your Crohn's (quickly). We've told some people about your diagnosis (hope you don't mind) and they are always quick to mention someone they know who has Crohn's and who manage it quite well (I'm sure you've heard a lot of these kind of stories recently too). We're all praying for you guys.

    By Blogger Beth, at September 20, 2005  

  • Anna, so sorry to hear that the last couple of months have been rough. I hope that things become a lot more manageable for you and Clarke. I too share your love of Boston in the fall. Nothing really compares. Hopefully we will be able to see you guys sometime. We still hope to make a trip out their sometime soon but it probably won't happen this year. Enjoy the fall colors for me and good luck with your classes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home