Acadia National Park




Boston was 90 degrees all weekend - so we headed to Maine and camped in Acadia National Park where the weather was perfect. The area used to be called Eden and that name is so fitting. It is one of the most beautiful places Clarke and I have ever seen and we loved hiking the trails. The park itself is gorgeous and thickly forested and set right on the water, on Mt. Desert Island. We had so much fun camping with our camping gear we got from our wedding and had never used. I think Clarke and I enjoyed cooking on our awesome Coleman stove almost more than anything else we did. On Sunday we got up and walked the short path from our campsite to the ocean cliffs to watch the sunrise. It was amazing. On one of our hikes we passed a little family - the dad was carrying his one year old son on his shoulders, the mom was carrying the daughter in her arms and the grandma was pushing an empty double stroller - the dad, seeing us, said: "this is your future." It was pretty funny. The lady at one of the park stations looked at us and said enjoy your last few months of freedom. Apparently, parenthood comes with a lot of responsibility or something.

5 Comments:
I can't believe a pregnant woman would agree to sleep on the ground! Clarke is lucky to have such a happy camper.
Morgan got one camping trip out of me and I think he's figured out that it may be a long time before we haul out any camping equipment again. You guys saw what I was like on the beach, so I'm sure you can imagine how great a camper I am. Looks like you had fun.
By
Beth, at June 20, 2006
I can remember camping when Heather was a baby - in Jasper National Park in Alberta. When we woke in the morning - with her between Gordon and I - she was so cold her lips were blue! I think that was our last camping trip - 18 years ago!
By
Laurie, at June 21, 2006
Well, I'm jealous. I actually like camping. I'm glad you guys had a great time.
By
Amy, at June 21, 2006
Thanks for the beautiful pictures--it was almost as good as being there myself. Like you, I love camping. Unlike you, however and most unfortunately, I didn't look great when i was pregnant. You look terrific! I'm glad that you are feeling well and enjoying some time relaxing with Clarke. Thanks for the lovely post--it made me want to go camping again.
By
Wendie, at June 21, 2006
(From Murray, not grandma)
Nadine and I loved our weekend in Arcadia in Sept. 2001 (about 2 weeks after 9/11). We stayed at a B&B and we enjoyed watching the sunrises and sunsets from the mountain tops. We rented a tandem bike (something we've agreed never to do again) and biked for miles and miles along some pretty cool paths. The cliff hikes were only surpassed by sea kayaking in the harbor. The trees are gorgeous in the fall as well.
At times it's hard to describe the little things that you remember from a place - like wild blueberry muffins and the beach that sounds like an orchestra. Thanks for the memories--you've only got a few more months to collect them and then you'll have to pay extra (in money or favors) when you want to do this.
By
Grandma, at July 16, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home