Adventures in Recruiting
Which can sometimes feel like babysitting...
I just realized that I spend way too much time checking the blog to see if someone has posted and not posting myself, so here I go, even though I have no exciting pictures (Thailand pictures are still coming).
The month of September is a hectic one for campus recruiters. My team of three has at least one event everyday this week. It is like this for the whole month and for the first part of October.
Anywho, last Thursday, we had an Open Information Session at Boston College at 5:00 pm . It is my responsibility to make sure that the boxes with our giveaways get to the rooms where the info. sessions are so when my teammate called me at 4:25 pm that night saying, "Amy, are the boxes coming? They're not here yet" I was a little nervous. "They're on their way!" I say, seriously hoping that this is true but having a sinking feeling that somewhere along the line, I made a mistake.
I frantically flip through the pages of information that the college has sent me regarding info. sessions. And then I see it there: "Please arrange for pick up of your materials from the Career Center. The Career Center closes at 4:30 pm on Thursdays." Gulp. I never made arrangements for someone to pick up the boxes. I look at the clock -4:28! Maybe someone's staying late - I call our the career center. It rings. My heart is racing. Please pick up, please pick up. Shoot! I get the voice mail. Oh crap! My teammate calls again. "They're on their way!" I lie as I picture our 2 boxes tucked in a corner in a dark office, behind a locked door. Think, Amy. Think.
I start calling any Boston College number I can find hoping that someone will be able to help me get those boxes and I finally get forwarded to Facilities. Unfortunately, they can't just go into the career center and open every office to search for the boxes - well, maybe they could if I can get some one on my end to identify the boxes and take them over to the info. session. Uh... well, my teammate can't do that. 1st off, she's 5 months pregnant. 2nd-ly, she doesn't even know that there's a problem and I'm not about to tell her. Now, keep in mind that the clock has been ticking the whole time and I've got about 10 minutes before the meeting starts to pull a Houdini and magically recover these boxes.
So, I call one of our summer interns who is our student Deloitte ambassador at Boston College. Picture me sounding desperate: "Um... hi, it's Amy Langford from Deloitte. Are you available to help me out within the next 20 minutes or so?" Fortunately, he is willing to help out and I tell him that he needs to go down to the career center and grab the two boxes and bring them over to the info. session (I say this, of course, as fast as I can). As I put the phone down, I get a call from our contact at the career center - somehow, the facilities people were able to reach her - who says that she has a student who is on the way to pick the boxes and take them to the meeting. Huzzah! Phew! I call our summer intern to tell him he's off the hook, and, for the first time in 30 minutes breath easy knowing that I still have a job.
A few hours later, I get a text from my teammate: "Hi Amy, everything turned out GREAT. Nice job with your first open info." Little does she know...
I just realized that I spend way too much time checking the blog to see if someone has posted and not posting myself, so here I go, even though I have no exciting pictures (Thailand pictures are still coming).
The month of September is a hectic one for campus recruiters. My team of three has at least one event everyday this week. It is like this for the whole month and for the first part of October.
Anywho, last Thursday, we had an Open Information Session at Boston College at 5:00 pm . It is my responsibility to make sure that the boxes with our giveaways get to the rooms where the info. sessions are so when my teammate called me at 4:25 pm that night saying, "Amy, are the boxes coming? They're not here yet" I was a little nervous. "They're on their way!" I say, seriously hoping that this is true but having a sinking feeling that somewhere along the line, I made a mistake.
I frantically flip through the pages of information that the college has sent me regarding info. sessions. And then I see it there: "Please arrange for pick up of your materials from the Career Center. The Career Center closes at 4:30 pm on Thursdays." Gulp. I never made arrangements for someone to pick up the boxes. I look at the clock -4:28! Maybe someone's staying late - I call our the career center. It rings. My heart is racing. Please pick up, please pick up. Shoot! I get the voice mail. Oh crap! My teammate calls again. "They're on their way!" I lie as I picture our 2 boxes tucked in a corner in a dark office, behind a locked door. Think, Amy. Think.
I start calling any Boston College number I can find hoping that someone will be able to help me get those boxes and I finally get forwarded to Facilities. Unfortunately, they can't just go into the career center and open every office to search for the boxes - well, maybe they could if I can get some one on my end to identify the boxes and take them over to the info. session. Uh... well, my teammate can't do that. 1st off, she's 5 months pregnant. 2nd-ly, she doesn't even know that there's a problem and I'm not about to tell her. Now, keep in mind that the clock has been ticking the whole time and I've got about 10 minutes before the meeting starts to pull a Houdini and magically recover these boxes.
So, I call one of our summer interns who is our student Deloitte ambassador at Boston College. Picture me sounding desperate: "Um... hi, it's Amy Langford from Deloitte. Are you available to help me out within the next 20 minutes or so?" Fortunately, he is willing to help out and I tell him that he needs to go down to the career center and grab the two boxes and bring them over to the info. session (I say this, of course, as fast as I can). As I put the phone down, I get a call from our contact at the career center - somehow, the facilities people were able to reach her - who says that she has a student who is on the way to pick the boxes and take them to the meeting. Huzzah! Phew! I call our summer intern to tell him he's off the hook, and, for the first time in 30 minutes breath easy knowing that I still have a job.
A few hours later, I get a text from my teammate: "Hi Amy, everything turned out GREAT. Nice job with your first open info." Little does she know...

4 Comments:
Great post! Just another day in the life of a busy professional I suppose.
By
Laurie, at September 18, 2007
Nice save Amy. I can relate so well to that sinking feeling realizing that you've slipped up on something, I actually had a sympathetic rush of adrenaline for you. I probably need some chocoalte now! Glad you're enjoying your job, I think they're lucky to have you.
By
Wendie, at September 19, 2007
Amy that story was the most gripping and suspensful i've ever read on the blog, no lie. Glad everything turned out well.
By
Wendie, at September 19, 2007
By the way that last comment was from me, Mike Low
By
Wendie, at September 19, 2007
Post a Comment
<< Home