The G. Low Family Blog

Thursday, January 03, 2008

I've Been Bitten

For one who used to be terrified of vampires (I saw the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer at too tender an age which caused me to train my teddy bear in the ways of vampire combat in case any came my way as I slept), I have truly come full circle. I've been bitten by the vampire lovin' bug. Usually I would try to keep this kind of information to a hush-hush as it sounds rather dorky, but I feel as Buddy the elf felt when he ran into his father's office yelling, "I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!" Allow my to explain: I am loving Stephanie Meyer's vampire books. There are three: Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. I'm half way through the 3rd one already and I am not looking forward to not having more to read after this. The basic premise of the story is that there is this girl, Bella, who falls in love with a vampire. Edward. It may sound lame, but I have certainly found it entertaining.





Reasons why it would be cool to be a vampire (at least within the context of these books):
- extreme good looks
- no need for sleep
- incredible strength and agility
- immunity to the cold
- enhanced senses
- super powers (for example, Edward can read minds and his sister can see into the future)
- immortality

Reasons why it wouldn't be so cool to be a vampire:
- the process of becoming a vampire is pretty horrible
- being a non-human-blood-drinking vampire requires a lot of self-control
- living in a sunny place would be difficult 'cause your skin would shine like diamonds in the sun
- very few friends, vampire or human

They are starting production on a Twilight movie this year and have just cast the 2 main characters. Kristin Stewart will be Bella and Robert Pattinson (who played Cedric Digory in Harry Potter) will be Edward (see pictures below).


6 Comments:

  • Amy, I've been secretly hoping that someone else in the Low family would love these books just as much. Yeah! I started with Twilight this summer and got hooked. I completely agree with your post. The story line is surprisingly entertaining. It does seem strange that so many adults are in love with a young adult fiction series about vampires, but I always tell people - just read it for yourself:)

    By Blogger Janae, at January 03, 2008  

  • Amy my skin already does shine like diamonds - but since I generally wish I could sleep about 14 hours a day and fear I am probably not immortal, I guess I am not a vampire - I haven't read any of the books but have heard many people rave about them - maybe I will put down "Hop on Pop" and see if I can find myself a copy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 04, 2008  

  • I started reading these books on recommendation from my dad. I just finished the 3rd one last night and I actually cried, then reprimanded myself for crying over a vampire book (let's just say I'm a Jacob fan).

    By Blogger jensher, at January 06, 2008  

  • Maybe I should suggest to my book club that we start in on the Vampire Books! Trouble is, the average age is over 60 and I might have trouble convincing them.

    By Blogger Wendie, at January 07, 2008  

  • Amy, you are definitely not alone. In our family, Heather and Jennifer Swendsen were severely ridiculed by their sensitive husbands, Dan and Scott respectivly, for reading "a vampire romance". We decided to see what the fuss was about and all of us read them, Uncle John, me, Laura and Rachel, and we often raced to get to the book before someone else had the chance to take it for hours at a time. Laura sat in her car and read during lunch time, and I think Rachel and I both got less sleep while reading the books. It was definitely better when we weren't all on the same volume. We even had some anxious moments of withdrawal awaiting the delivery of Eclipse.
    It is exciting to see a young LDS mother succeed at writing a best-seller. I think she has incorporated some elements of LDS experience into her books, and she has described teenage romance to a tee.
    Now we just have to get Dan and Scott to read them (jk, that won't happen).

    By Blogger cathyswendsen, at January 08, 2008  

  • I hadn't heard about these until Brian got my sister-in-law Jenny's name in the draw for the Christmas gift swap and we found out she liked these books. I havn't started them yet, but she promised I could borrow the books we bought for her when she's done. I can't wait! Its nice to have a book besides Harry Potter to be dying to read.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home