The G. Low Family Blog

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Multi Faith Council

First off, I prefer Lake of Shimmering Waters to Lake of Shining Waters. It sounds way more romantic.

Secondly, I belong to the Wellesley Multi-Faith Council (MFC), which is a group of differenc reps from a lot of the religious groups that we have on campus. Basically, we meet once a week to eat and to discuss the differences and similarities between religious beliefs and practice "creating a space where people can come together and talk about difficult issues with respect." I'm in it for the food.

So this past weekend we had a retreat at the Peace Abbey. The Peace Abbey is this little house with a farm and a mini chapel-like room; it smells heavily of insense and cow manure. Within the walls of the peace Abbey are so many trinkets and statues and books and posters and candles and buttons and pictures from different religious groups and about different peacemakers. My favorite items were the life size bronze busts of people like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and JFK. I'm considering investing in one for my dorm room.


This photo is of most of the MFC members. The other is of me hoarding the food. I really was just putting my arms against the warm food containers because it was chilly in the kitchen, but the other girls thought that the whole situation looked pretty funny. They're lucky that I posed for them. The red-eye's kind of creepy.

1 Comments:

  • I hate to be the spell checker, but "Ghandi" is really Gandhi. I wouldn't have said anything except when I was a teaching assistant for History 202 (yeah! for Heather's current history class), which I did for a year, I had to grade papers the students wrote about Gandhi. I got so tired of reading Gandhi mispelled in these 150 student papers. They had read books about him and watched the movie titled Gandhi; it was also printed on their essay assignment. I never understood how you could mispell a word you had seen so, so many times. There is nothing worse. Okay, yes there is, one kid actually said "When Gandhi freed Africa." That's worse.

    By Blogger anna, at October 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home