School Days
It's been too long, I know. I've been busy with ... well a lot of things actually. I've picked up the threads of my college career from 32 YEARS ago and am now a full time student at Simmons College. It is a great, well-respected Women's College in Boston. I have 4 semesters to go and as all Grandmas know - time flies at this age. I'll be finished in no time. I had a mini-meltdown yesterday - first time I've cried about school in years. But I got really worked up about not being able to COMMAND the software that accompanied 2 of my texts. I worried and worried about ...well now I can hardly remember what. That's because today I had a GREAT day. Turns out I'm really smart - well maybe well prepared is a better way to put it. Heather told me "you'll be a great student!" Wow, I thought, anticipating a comment about my obvious ability. But no. When I asked why she said that she said, "because you don't have a social life." Apparently she was right. Homework this past Friday AND Saturday night. Poor Gordon - and Burger King for dinner on Monday.
I'm taking a Statistics class (required - no kidding, who would take this for fun??). My last College math class was 31 years ago - Math for elementary school teachers. This is a bit different, and that's what was giving me fits yesterday. And a writing and psychology class. I'm really loving it. Meeting some very interesting people. One of the good things about Simmons is that they have a special program for returning students over age 25, called Dix Scholars. So in my writing seminar I meet with 12 of these women - and it's nice to have my own little peer group. I'm the oldest in at least 2 of my classes, and maybe even with my Dix scholars. But who cares? I'm majoring in Psychology - and am hoping to do a Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. Now that's some long-term planning. But I learned last year that golf and lunch with girlfriends just aren't enough to keep this girl happy. Now give me some really aggravating software - ya, that'll do it.
I'm taking a Statistics class (required - no kidding, who would take this for fun??). My last College math class was 31 years ago - Math for elementary school teachers. This is a bit different, and that's what was giving me fits yesterday. And a writing and psychology class. I'm really loving it. Meeting some very interesting people. One of the good things about Simmons is that they have a special program for returning students over age 25, called Dix Scholars. So in my writing seminar I meet with 12 of these women - and it's nice to have my own little peer group. I'm the oldest in at least 2 of my classes, and maybe even with my Dix scholars. But who cares? I'm majoring in Psychology - and am hoping to do a Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. Now that's some long-term planning. But I learned last year that golf and lunch with girlfriends just aren't enough to keep this girl happy. Now give me some really aggravating software - ya, that'll do it.

5 Comments:
Hey! I'm taking an advanced statistics class for fun.
By
Amy, at September 12, 2006
It sounds like you are having a great adventure! Good for you!!
By
ellen, at September 13, 2006
Yeah for Laurie for going back to school! That takes a lot of courage but we are very proud of you.
(Amy - why does it not surprise me that you are taking a stats class for fun? You are related to Clarke after all, who bought himself a Calculus book last year just for some fun reading. if there was any doubt that there are some definite nerd genes in this family before . . :)
By
anna, at September 13, 2006
Well, in my own very perverse way I'm doing a little something with statistics too! I've been recruited to help out at Gary's office entering all the year's accounting data so that they can switch over to a new software accounting program. I've been working for 1 1/2 weeks now and I'm so sick of looking at numbers I can hardly stand it. Hopefully I'll be finished before the semester is over. The difference is, you'll have some university credits for your suffering and I think I'll just get wrinkles. Cheers!
By
Wendie, at September 13, 2006
Congrats on going back to school! I had no idea you were going back, or that you were an elementary education major (is that right?) I knew there was a reason I liked you so much -- among many other reasons that is. You and my mom should talk because she is going back to school as well and feeling frustrated with her statistics class because of being out of math for 30 years. Well three cheers for you, how ambitious! Good luck, I know you'll do great.
By
Jen, at September 16, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home