The G. Low Family Blog

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Jamaican Me Eat This?

As Mom has noted, I spent this New Years down in New York with my friend Krystal. Krystal is Jamaican and though she doesn't have an accent, pretty much everyone else in her family does. I felt pretty stupid half the time 'cause I really couldn't understand anyone, and sometimes smiling and nodding just isn't appropriate. Anyway, New Years day, we went over to Krystal's great-aunt's place for a big Jamaican meal. Krystal's extended family was there (with even thicker accents) and they really had a feast: rolls, veggies, salad, pork, chicken, fish, rice, fruit cake, ice cream. The most interesting, and by interesting I mean disgusting, dish was the curried goat. I tried some of it just to be polite and had an extremely hard time swallowing it - I hope nobody noticed my difficulty. It tasted a lot like lamb (of which I am not a fan) only grosser. This Rastafari uncle then insisted that I try some of this Jamaican juice, which was made from a flower of some kind. Yeah. That wasn't good either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home