The G. Low Family Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

For Shame!

I just got back from a great trip - driving with Anna (Grant and Audrey) to Houston (yup that's 2000 miles folks) and up to Calgary to spend time with Beth, Morgan and especially Bennett and Vivian. And my camera battery was dead! (that's the for shame part). First the Houston part: the kids were amazing travelers and Anna and I had more fun together than was probably legal in Tennessee (which was a pretty state, especially compared to Arkansas!!) We proved ourselves to be better handymen/women than we hoped and got an amazing amount of work done (especially in the hours of 7 p.m. - 1 a.m. when the kids were asleep). Their house is fabulous, with a great guest room so I can only reiterate their invitation and encourage everyone to plan a visit. Anna has been inducted into the exclusive Amazon Hall of Fame for women who manage beyond and above any normal criteria!! She is amazing and I love her dearly.

On to Calgary: Bennett is growing so fast, and Vivian started crawling up the stairs while I was there. This before she is actually crawling (but she is a champion creeper). They are bright happy children - both love to read/be read to. Gordon started teaching Bennett phonics - the same way he taught Clarke to read at about the same age. We went to Heritage Park, Calaway Park, Lake Sundance and the movies (Walle and Dr. Suess). And Bennett and I drove everyone crazy with goofy rhymes (Willaby Wallaby pence, an elephant sat on the fence - you get the picture - usually done while driving in the car so we can make everyone else around us crazy too). Beth is a wonderful mother - patient and kind but just strict enough to make her children fun to be around. And an amazing cook. I came home with a few recipes.

We also spend time in southern Alberta visiting family. It was great to see Aunt Joyce and 3 of her daughters. She is dealing with Lou Gherigs disease so bravely and graciously. It was wonderful to spend time with her. We spent time with our mom's and even squeezed in some quick home projects with them.

Last note - I golfed early one morning in Calgary. So cold - and I only had a borrowed hoodie. Picture me with my sunglasses and a hoodie tied tight around my head. If you hear reports of a "unigolfer" sighted in Calgary, don't worry. It was me.

5 Comments:

  • The blog is alive and kickin and I am lovin every minute of it! I'm pretty sure it's Clarke and Anna's or Beth and Morgan's turn. Don't let us down guys.

    By Blogger Heather, at July 12, 2008  

  • It is a shame mom didn't bring her camera, because I rely a lot on mom and dad to take photos of my children so I have something to document their childhood. It's also a shame that mom and dad don't live in Calgary like ALL the rest of their families. Bennett, Vivian, Morgan and me miss them already. Oh, and mom forgot to mention an amazing birthday dinner we had-- it was a major highlight. Come again any time!

    By Blogger Beth, at July 14, 2008  

  • Can you let us in on the secret Low method of teaching kids to read?

    By Blogger jensher, at July 15, 2008  

  • Gordon got the book "Why Johnny Can't Read" and used it to teach Clarke how to read using phonics when he was about 3 or 4. It teaches the sounds of each letter and puts them together for words. (The wordlists in the back of the book are the best part of the book according to Gordon.) It was pretty straightforward as I recall. The key I think is waiting until a child can think abstractly and has a good attention span. Otherwise you'll make yourself crazy!

    By Blogger Laurie, at July 16, 2008  

  • Which reminds me I still need a new pic of Beth's and Clarke's families.

    By Blogger Grandma, at July 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home