Your sore throat is due to the streptococcus germ (strep throat).
The last thing poor unsuspecting Heather was expecting on the Sabbath of days, was to not be able to speak. It was so tragic. Factor in the School of Music audition that was to take place on the Saturday following. Heather muddled through her church meetings and made it through. (ok, third person is over; I can't keep it straight). So during visiting hours, a good friend, Tyson, he's cool, looked at my throat and demanded that I go to the hospital right then. He was dragging me through Merrill Hall, when Joel decided that he would take over and take me to the emergency room. I felt so awkward going to the ER for a sore throat - being raised by mom, it was a "if your sick you wait it out" type deal. Medicine didn't enter the picture until my senior year of high school, so the idea of going to the ER for a sore throat was, I thought, pretty ridiculous. To increase my embarrassment, Joel thought it would be fun if he documented the event. I've included some pictures for your viewing entertainment.

This is me feeling sick in the Triage centre

This was a chart to measure the amount of pain one was in...

...and this is how much pain I was in. Joel says my face is an 8 on the pain scale

This was the small room they pushed me into - note the wee wee pads

This was Joel pretending to be sick - he felt left out
So it turns out that I have the streptococcus germ (strep throat). They gave me a small packet on what it was and stuff - the first line of the pamphlet is also the title of this blogg. They gave me a shot, and Amy, you would've been so proud - I was so hardcore. It was a huge syringe, and when I asked the nurse if it was going to hurt, she said "oh yeah", to which I replied "bring it on". Right before she plunged the needle into my skin she asked if I was ready, and I confidently said "Do to it". I felt so tough. The shot was weird - it wasn't like they injected me with liquid - it was more like Malaysia's. It was really thick, and it did really hurt. Now it feels like someone came up and punched me 15 times in the back; so needless to say, it feels awkward. But I'm on the mend, and will hopefully be back at performing level by Saturday. Thank heaven for modern medicine, and for friends who force me to see a doctor. P.S. the last three bloggs have been mine - I"m feeling a little narcissistic, and would greatly appreciate some blogg input from any other member of the family. Love you guys.

This is me feeling sick in the Triage centre

This was a chart to measure the amount of pain one was in...

...and this is how much pain I was in. Joel says my face is an 8 on the pain scale

This was the small room they pushed me into - note the wee wee pads

This was Joel pretending to be sick - he felt left out
So it turns out that I have the streptococcus germ (strep throat). They gave me a small packet on what it was and stuff - the first line of the pamphlet is also the title of this blogg. They gave me a shot, and Amy, you would've been so proud - I was so hardcore. It was a huge syringe, and when I asked the nurse if it was going to hurt, she said "oh yeah", to which I replied "bring it on". Right before she plunged the needle into my skin she asked if I was ready, and I confidently said "Do to it". I felt so tough. The shot was weird - it wasn't like they injected me with liquid - it was more like Malaysia's. It was really thick, and it did really hurt. Now it feels like someone came up and punched me 15 times in the back; so needless to say, it feels awkward. But I'm on the mend, and will hopefully be back at performing level by Saturday. Thank heaven for modern medicine, and for friends who force me to see a doctor. P.S. the last three bloggs have been mine - I"m feeling a little narcissistic, and would greatly appreciate some blogg input from any other member of the family. Love you guys.

5 Comments:
P.S. The shot feeling like Malaysia's was supposed to be like a milk shake. Spell check apparently had a hard time with that one, and it slipped passed my notice before i published - sorry for the confusion.
By
Heather, at January 24, 2006
I was so confused about the Malaysia comment. I thought, wow I'm so not young anymore because I don't know what this hip new term is. Sorry to hear you're a sickie. Strep throat sucks.
By
Beth, at January 24, 2006
I thought you were trying to say milk of magnesia, but that you couldn't quite remember the word so you through in Malaysia. I think that would have been funnier, but I guess I'll believe your spell-check story.
Heather I'm sorry to hear that your sick. I hope you're feeling better by the time of your audition this Saturday. I'm glad you have friends who encouraged you to receive some medical attention.
I have very few recollections of mom ever taking us to the doctor (except for broken bones). Not that she didn't take great care of us, but the 'tough it out' mentality certainly got us through a lot of childhood.
By
Clarke, at January 24, 2006
Hey...can I help it if you guys were never sick? Ever hear of ... Dr. Mom?
By
Laurie, at January 26, 2006
I thought you made the word streptococcus up, but no - it's a real word. What do you know. Feel better, my love.
By
Amy, at January 26, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home