Urgent - We need your help
I received an e-mail that I think is important enough to send the gist of along to all of you. It concerns the new HBO show "Big Love." I've heard of it and seen some articles in the Boston Globe. It's about a polygamous family and is set in a SLC suburb. It parodies and trivializes our beliefs - a man blesses his hunting rifle, visions from the Holy Ghost are casually talked about; talk of celestial kingdom, free agency and the Choose the Right slogan all make their way into the show. There is a brief disclaimer stating that the polygamists don't have an active connection with the church - but the connection is certainly being made.
Please e-mail a polite protest by going to www.hbo.com - scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Contact us. Click on The Sopranos and scroll to the light blue box near page bottom on the line just under Submit an Email. Click on Contact Us. Specify it's about Big Love. Include a request to cancel immediately. It takes 2 minutes. (You may want to copy or edit this - I am offended that you would produce the series Big Love. It demeans and distorts sacred beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. By setting the show in Salt Lake City, it blurs the line between the Church and the long renounced practice of polygamy. Please cancel the show immediately.)
Apparently this tactic was successfully used when 700,000 people emailed and complained about a show about a dysfunctional Episcopal priest who saw "Jesus."
Please share with any and all friends. Thanks.
Please e-mail a polite protest by going to www.hbo.com - scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Contact us. Click on The Sopranos and scroll to the light blue box near page bottom on the line just under Submit an Email. Click on Contact Us. Specify it's about Big Love. Include a request to cancel immediately. It takes 2 minutes. (You may want to copy or edit this - I am offended that you would produce the series Big Love. It demeans and distorts sacred beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. By setting the show in Salt Lake City, it blurs the line between the Church and the long renounced practice of polygamy. Please cancel the show immediately.)
Apparently this tactic was successfully used when 700,000 people emailed and complained about a show about a dysfunctional Episcopal priest who saw "Jesus."
Please share with any and all friends. Thanks.

3 Comments:
Done. Thanks for the update - I'll send the request along to some eloquent and persuasive friends.
By
anna, at April 09, 2006
I already phoned the HBO operator and gave her my two cents worth.
By
Beth, at April 10, 2006
Thanks Laurie. I'll send that off today. I saw the most recent episode a couple of nights ago. The lastest offense is showing the young teenage son, plagued by hormones and a little "sex crazy" going to seminary. As it turns out, "seminary" is a support group for young "sex starved" young boys trying to "choose the right!" Anyone who knows Latter Day Saints with teenagers knows about seminary and this connection just further solidifies the whole association with Mormons as opposed to the polygamist sect they claim to represent. Grrrr....
By
Wendie, at April 11, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home