An Ethical Question, sort of.

In the midst of writing the second of my five massive papers to finish my career as a master's student, I thought of an issue which has come up quite frequently in my courses lately: using your own work from another course. Example: I have two classes on similar subjects and write one paper and turn it in to both teachers. Apparently, this is a big NO at Harvard. Don't worry, I don't think any of my papers have any overlap, so this isn't even a possibility for me, even if I wanted it to be. But here is my question - I asked Clarke and he couldn't think of a good explanation - and we would like to solicit a Morgan answer (and anyone else who feels the urge to comment). We will take both the Morgan answer as 1) a lawyer and 2) a former student who hated writing papers as much as the next kid, and entertained, or maybe did, use his grandma's old book report. Both answers would be nice. I am wondering why this is such a big deal. It is my intellectual property - I put the blood, sweat, tears and brilliance into it and I don't think it's cheating. I can understand handing in my somebody else's paper as a bad thing, but my own?? General authorities do it all the time - they use old talks or devotionals in the Ensign, businessmen will give the same lecture to multiple conferences and I know I've heard teachers give the same lectures to different classes, so why can't my paper cut it as legitimate work for different teachers? PS - the picture is to grab Morgan's attention.

5 Comments:
Hmmm... this is a tricky one. I have never taken classes that were similar enough to be able to use the same paper for both classes. I do know that in research articles, (at least Psychology ones) authors are using their own older work as sources all the time. They just have it as one of the references in the back. Maybe that helps... I don't think so.
By
Amy, at May 08, 2006
What if you took large chunks from one paper and cited yourself as the original author? I know Morgan has cited himself in one of his papers (one of his proudest moments). I also know that Morgan has used his Grandmother's book report on a Tale of Two Cities (also one of his proudest moments-- why are you holding him up as a moral authority?)
By
Beth, at May 09, 2006
It's wrong because it violates one of the main tenets of academia: there can be absolutely no practical application of anything you do or learn in any class. If there is--like if it helps you in another class, increases your job prospects post-graduation, or if you derive too much enjoyment from it--it's no good. Pain and suffering are the only acceptable rewards. Yipee. Have fun.
By
jessica, at May 10, 2006
Beth-
Now that you put it that way - that's a good question. Maybe instead of Morgan's advice I should have asked if he had any other old papers from his grandma I could use.
Jessica -
Pain and suffering - so true. Example: After a painful meeting with one of my teachers yesterday and then working out some MIT details with Clarke, the highlight of our day was my podiatry appointment and having some warts removed. Pretty sad.
By
anna, at May 10, 2006
This is Gordon, using a very nice portable PC that belongs to Laurie. When I was editor of the Sloan Management Review, anything published had to be original material. You could cite something, but the material had to be new. My favorite way of denying a paper before it went to a referee was to find their previous writings (articles or books) and find word for word passages that were the same. It was enough to get them thrown out of publishing (and in some cases even more severe consequences). True story: I caught one of my former professors trying to pull this off. He's been in the press over a long running nasty dispute with his former wife and children. Last year, he accused someone of shooting him because of a family dispute. Just last week, the police have concluded that he actually tried to kill himself. So maybe Bart's right, the devil made him do it.
By
Gordon, at May 11, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home